Freedom Day is a public holiday in South Africa. It is celebrated every year on 27 April. The first democratic and non-racial national elections were held on 27 April 1994.
The Google Doodle, 27 April 2014, celebrates 20 years of Freedom Day in South Africa.
To celebrate the holiday I thought it would be fun to look for quirky, irreverent quotations about freedom. I hope you enjoy them. (Please add your favourite freedom quotes in the comments section below.)
The Top 12 Funny Quotes about Freedom
- The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off. ~Gloria Steinem
- Some tourists think Amsterdam is a city of sin, but in truth it is a city of freedom. And in freedom, most people find sin. ~John Green
- War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength. ~George Orwell
- You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don’t ever count on having both at once. ~Robert A. Heinlein
- Freeing yourself was one thing, claiming ownership of that freed self was another. ~Toni Morrison
- The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion. ~Albert Camus
- People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use. ~Soren Kierkegaard
- Freedom is what you do with what’s been done to you. ~Jean-Paul Sartre
- Who is more to be pitied, a writer bound and gagged by policemen or one living in perfect freedom who has nothing more to say? ~Kurt Vonnegut
- What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist. ~Salman Rushdie
- The things you own end up owning you. It’s only after you lose everything that you’re free to do anything. ~ Chuck Palahniuk
- The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. ~David Foster Wallace